Skip to main content

siddarthareddy online

Life Inside Hong Kong's 'Coffin Cubicles', A Parallel Universe Of Misery And Hardship:

That day, I came home and cried,” said Benny Lam, the photographer who captured the grim living conditions of people living in Hong Kong’s ‘Coffin Cubicles’. 
nationalgeographic

Just recently, travellers began appreciating the cubicles hostel as an option to stay - they're cheap, pocket-friendly and hep. But life inside thenationalgeographicse 15 - 120-square-foot apartments isn't as easy as it seems. 

“That day, I came home and cried,” said Benny Lam, the photographer who captured the grim living conditions of people living in Hong Kong’s ‘Coffin Cubicles’. 
nationalgeographic
Just recently, travellers began appreciating the cubicles hostel as an option to stay - they're cheap, pocket-friendly and hep. But life inside these 15 - 120-square-foot apartments isn't as easy as it seems. 
nationalgeographic

From cooking to sleeping, from watching tv to taking a dump - everything happens in these cubicles that look like death traps for those who're claustrophobic. 

Benny names his series 'Trapped' and aims to illuminate the suffocating life of people juxtaposed outside Hong Kong's neon life. He calls this as "an insult to human dignity"
nationalgeographic
nationalgeographic

nationalgeographic

4.nationalgeographic

5.nationalgeographic

nationalgeographic


7."You may wonder why we should care, as these people are not a part of our lives," Lam wrote on his Facebook page. "They are exactly the people who come into your life every single day: they are serving you as the waiters in the restaurants where you eat, they are the security guards in the shopping malls you wander around, or the cleaners and the delivery men on the streets you pass through. The only difference between us and them is [their homes]. This is a question of human dignity." he added. 
8.
“That day, I came home and cried,” said Benny Lam, the photographer who captured the grim living conditions of people living in Hong Kong’s ‘Coffin Cubicles’. 
nationalgeographic
Just recently, travellers began appreciating the cubicles hostel as an option to stay - they're cheap, pocket-friendly and hep. But life inside these 15 - 120-square-foot apartments isn't as easy as it seems. 
nationalgeographic

From cooking to sleeping, from watching tv to taking a dump - everything happens in these cubicles that look like death traps for those who're claustrophobic. 

Benny names his series 'Trapped' and aims to illuminate the suffocating life of people juxtaposed outside Hong Kong's neon life. He calls this as "an insult to human dignity". 

1.

nationalgeographic

2.

nationalgeographic

3.

nationalgeographic

4.

nationalgeographic

5.

nationalgeographic

6.

nationalgeographic

7.

nationalgeographic
"You may wonder why we should care, as these people are not a part of our lives," Lam wrote on his Facebook page. "They are exactly the people who come into your life every single day: they are serving you as the waiters in the restaurants where you eat, they are the security guards in the shopping malls you wander around, or the cleaners and the delivery men on the streets you pass through. The only difference between us and them is [their homes]. This is a question of human dignity." he added. 
nationalgeographic
After seeing these photographs, a lot of people have expressed their outrage and wrath about the poor living conditions, but let's take a step back and assess the problem closely. 
With a population of nearly 7.5 million, what option do they really have? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can't Even Take A Cab If You Are Drunk In Kerala. Yes, That's The New Law.

We all are aware how detrimental drunk driving can be, which is why we the government along with various organizations promote the use of cabs when inebriated. -Src However, in what looks self-perilous act, a new regulation in Kerala prohibits rivers not only from driving while intoxicated but also taking inebriated passengers along. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways' latest mission is 'Motor Vehicles driving regulation 2017' - the MVR which has come into effect on June 23. The law bars drivers from carrying drunk passengers and demands all drivers to comply with the law.   Follow AM   @AmIndia1947 Replying to @latasrinivasan @NewsX Kerala govt.   liquor tax, they gonna charge drivers carrying drunk passengers, drunk driving is illegal, drunkers should book hotel room 2:19 PM - Aug 14, 2017   Replies     Retweets     likes Twitter Ads info and privacy “...
  20 MUST-READ QUEER BOOKS IN TRANSLATION FROM AROUND THE WORLD Siddarthareddy Chitiki 11 hours ago · 13 min read — by SiddarthareddY Chitiki (sYc) An appetite for books — sYc Source: Book Riot At beginning of my childhood, I am fascinated by books about literature from all over the world. My goal was to read more books of literature that translated. till now I have read around less than 10% of my total reading ever since childhood. I am not able to find the comfort zone to delve into this. Every time I discover some book to reads, but none of them read it now. I love to read women's written books to see their world of my imagination. I discovered w h at I had been missing — once I began to delve into lists of books in translation. especially, I found women in translation — I soon found that I had opened a floodgate. I dove farther, and the more I uncovered, the more I discovered. So, I Find the lists of 20 Books 1.  COBALT BLUE  BY SACHIN KUNDALKAR, TRANSLATED FROM MARAT...

A Family Murder in the Colombian Jungle;

A Family Murder in the Colombian Jungle; How the surrender of the FARC helped bring closure to a mystery Santa Marta | Stefanen Ator/Public Domain/Flickr Here is what I know for sure: Nearly 10 years ago, my aunt Adita was kidnapped from her home one morning in Santa Marta, a beach town on Colombia ’s Caribbean coast. Hours after her disappearance, she was found dead on the side of a dusty road in the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains. The violent murder of Adita Perez is one shrouded in mystery. Her kidnappers were mysteriously killed before questioning and no one was ever charged with her death. Some say she was killed on the side of the road and then set aflame (a gruesome version of the story I had grown up with). Others say Adita was killed in her home, rolled up in a carpet and dumped in the mountains. The theories surrounding  why  she was murdered are even more nuanced. I hadn’t been to  Bogota  — my birthplace — in over a decade but after ...