Skip to main content

Rana Daggubati`s;- Time is temporary but a film is forever--RANA.

.

Image result for rana daggubati blogs
Time is temporary but a film is forever” I think this quote came out because I don’t have a release for a while now.
Before ‘Leader’, I always said that I wanted to do an alternative film that follows a mainstream hero’s journey; ‘Leader’ was just that. I had a few reservations on the second half of the film and how the love story would play out eventually. As much as I loved the idea of the protagonist cheating a girl for the well being of the people, I just had a different view on how it could develop given the screen time of the film. I voiced it out, but being my first film, it didn’t matter to most. Not complaining at all, because I got all I wanted from the film, because Sekhar helped bring out my personality on screen in the most unique way possible, while the rest were hell bent on making me into an action hero.
So I finished Debut 1 – a Telugu film, which had a reasonably good reception both at the BO and with the critics. Then Debut 2 in Hindi ‘Dum Maro Dum’ came as a pleasant surprise to me, because after a Telugu film I was looking for a larger Telugu film or a bi-lingual (Telugu-Tamil) film ideally. So, in a way God blessed me with extra love and gave me a speedy second film in Hindi.
Then came the monstrous task of choosing the next script. Lots of script readings, lots more narrations, many stories waiting to be told some even went up to the 5th and 6th drafts and then got adrift in the script development process. Heard stories from almost everyone – top directors and writers to young and upcoming ones. Working with so many diverse kinds of people, I had lots of questions that I was unable to voice plainly. Similarly they had a lot of questions to ask of me “Who is he to ask us to change? What does he know? He’s only one film old… little more graciously though.I know I’m one film old and I don’t have the right, but surely do have the capability and understanding in terms of story development, screenplay structure, character graphs, that I’ve been learning for years now.
Key issue with most storytellers today is that many of them don’t write start to end,they start shooting before they have a full bound script; they work with shooting drafts or ideas and concepts and find the film in the process of making it. Works very well for them, but not for me.
I’d like to know what I’m getting into quite clearly and right from the beginning. Whether it works or not, if it works it’s great and if it doesn’t I clearly understand the mistakes I shouldn’t make in my next. That eliminates quite a few filmmakers from me.I first and foremost want a genre film. I fail to understand the term “Mass, Action,Love Story with Entertainment.”

I think, I can only handle one and maybe two of the above at a time. I often keep wondering where is the real cinema I grew up watching,I can’t find a ‘Pathala Bhairavi’, a ‘Gundamma Katha’ or a ‘Danaveerasura Karna’ an ‘Alluri Sitaramaraju’, a ‘Shiva’, a ‘Swati Muthyam’ today. The only thing that excites me in Telugu cinema today is to see the success of a variety of genres with films like ‘Arundhati’, ‘Yae Maya Chesavae’ and ‘Leader’ all being genre specific films and did commercially well at the BO. To me it’s fairly straight and simple – is the film engaging or is it not, do I have fun reading it, will I have fun doing it and finally will I have fun watching it. If I truly like it, I know they are a lot out there who’ll like it as well.
And another interesting challenge these days, which was never the case in Telugucinema, is the casting. Problem one, we have a very limited number of girls to work with who speak Telugu, second I am 6ft 3inches which means the girl atleast has to be 5’6 and above to make a good screen pair (Please don’t give me examples of Mr. Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan, they make a fab pair but I’m not Mr. Big B). And from the natural choices of that are available there is Kajal, Genelia,Tamanna, Ileana, Richa, Samanthaand others who fit my screen age but, their dates aren’t available till late this year or almost Jan next year simply because of the number of films they’re working in. Very happy for them but it’s not good for me.So hence planning a film schedule around these dates is almost next to impossible.
Another mammoth task is the budget that comes into play with me as the lead, there’s a clear limit to my budgets – my first was ‘Leader’ not ‘Magadheera’. And each story has a limitation for the genre it’s belongs; for example an action film can pull larger audiences than a simple comedy, a family drama can bring in more audiences than a thriller. And being a producer myself, more so coming from a production family, I’d like all;Producers, Buyers, Distributors and Exhibitors to reap benefits from myfilms.
Being born in Chennai and brought up in Hyderabad, I grew up speaking Telugu, Tamil and Hindi. So I am blessed in a way to venture out into cinema in different languages. And try to eventually grow to a sizeable market, to create all the stories I can, and with lesser financial constraints. Am working on it, let’s see how it goes. Since time is temporary but a film is forever, I want people to remember me in a film that I’m proud to have been a part of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Can't Even Take A Cab If You Are Drunk In Kerala. Yes, That's The New Law.

We all are aware how detrimental drunk driving can be, which is why we the government along with various organizations promote the use of cabs when inebriated. -Src However, in what looks self-perilous act, a new regulation in Kerala prohibits rivers not only from driving while intoxicated but also taking inebriated passengers along. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways' latest mission is 'Motor Vehicles driving regulation 2017' - the MVR which has come into effect on June 23. The law bars drivers from carrying drunk passengers and demands all drivers to comply with the law.   Follow AM   @AmIndia1947 Replying to @latasrinivasan @NewsX Kerala govt.   liquor tax, they gonna charge drivers carrying drunk passengers, drunk driving is illegal, drunkers should book hotel room 2:19 PM - Aug 14, 2017   Replies     Retweets     likes Twitter Ads info and privacy “The driver shall strictly comply with the laws

A Family Murder in the Colombian Jungle;

A Family Murder in the Colombian Jungle; How the surrender of the FARC helped bring closure to a mystery Santa Marta | Stefanen Ator/Public Domain/Flickr Here is what I know for sure: Nearly 10 years ago, my aunt Adita was kidnapped from her home one morning in Santa Marta, a beach town on Colombia ’s Caribbean coast. Hours after her disappearance, she was found dead on the side of a dusty road in the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains. The violent murder of Adita Perez is one shrouded in mystery. Her kidnappers were mysteriously killed before questioning and no one was ever charged with her death. Some say she was killed on the side of the road and then set aflame (a gruesome version of the story I had grown up with). Others say Adita was killed in her home, rolled up in a carpet and dumped in the mountains. The theories surrounding  why  she was murdered are even more nuanced. I hadn’t been to  Bogota  — my birthplace — in over a decade but after years of wondering